Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A Better Way to Carry a Bunny


Recently I tried something very novel for me to overcome a challenge I was having with moving rabbits around. Spring-Summer-Fall shearing arrangement is very convenient – I shear them on my covered front porch which is relatively near the rabbitry. Winter shearing is different in that I move everything to the basement. This means I have to
open 1 gate, two doors and then go down a flight of stairs carrying a rabbit. I have tried out various methods for carrying the bunny – in my arms, in a cat carrier, in a small milk crate and using a sling shoulder bag large enough to hold a bunny. The canvas sling shoulder bag worked the best, but was still not ideal as it was awkward. Then I saw a lady at the grocery store carrying an infant in a carrier that hangs off the front (as opposed to a backpack). I went to Target to check them out and found a small one for about $15 on sale and brought it home to try. It slips on and off very easily and the rabbits seem fine with being loaded inside and carried this way – no wiggly or fussing whatsoever. I tried it out with 10 different rabbits - 6 Germans that I sheared and 4 German crossbreds that I just took out for a stroll. It worked well in all cases. The attached picture of Avillion Secondfield in the carrier after being sheared.

1 comment:

  1. Genius!

    By the way, do you sell your roving? The page doesn't seem to be working on your website so I could see any details or prices.

    ReplyDelete